Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Module 1 Poetry Break

Poetry Break Module 1
566321 Poetry
Diana Stephens

Introduction: “Today, I am recommending art books and poetry books, and art-and-poetry-combined-together books. Can a picture inspire a poem?”

After giving students a moment to think and agree, project the following image from the data projector, (which is not in the book, I had to find it,) then quote from the poem, “What is going on here?” and wait for and receive responses.

***George Bellows. (see note below)

Read the poem from the book:

“Ringside” by Ron Koertge,
[from Heart to Heart, New Poems, Inspired by Twentieth Century Art, edited by Jan Greenberg, Henry H. Abrams, Inc., 2001)

It all started when a new teacher held up
this picture and said, “What’s going on here?”
Everybody said how pretty the yellow house
was, the pink blossoms, the blue sky.
I said, “It’s creepy. The sidewalk leads
Right to the cellar.” The teacher beamed
And the McKenzie brothers made fists.

I ran for the library faster than usual.
I asked Miss Wilson for more by the same guy.
She could only find one—Stag at Sharkey’s.

[Show the image in the book and on the screen.]
George Bellows. Stag at Sharkey’s. 1909. Oil on canvas.
(used by permission,
www.the-atheneum.org)

I looked at that painting every day. I looked
at every inch. I looked until I was at ringside,
until I was the fighter in the modest black
trunks.

When Bobby McKenzie finally caught me
and bloodied my nose, I put my head against
his and hit him with my right and to my surprise
he winced and went down.

“Stag at Sharkey’s,” I bellowed. He looked
at me like I was crazy, scrambled to his feet,
and ran.

Ask students to summarize what happened and why. Project the poem, and have a student volunteer for each verse, to read it a second time.

Extension: Flip through Heart to Heart briefly to show other images and their poems, occasionally reading a title of an image or a poem to pique interest, asking students to think about how that image might inspire writing a poem. Ask students to look at the art in the books on the tables for an image about which they could write a poem.

“Ringside” by Ron Koertge,
[from Heart to Heart, New Poems, Inspired by Twentieth Century Art, edited by Jan Greenberg, Henry H. Abrams, Inc., 2001)
This is a Printz Honor Book.

***George Bellows. I found this image late at night after along search; I was copying and pasting when my husband came in and started talking, and I neglected to copy the location. BAD. BAD. I have searched back through 51,000 Google images of George Bellows paintings TWICE, (I did it a third time yesterday) but it’s not there now, so I tried the first ten pages of a regular Google search and went through lists of art galleries. After four total hours-NADA. I will take it off if you tell me I should.

2 comments:

  1. I've been teaching poetry inspired by art for many years in a high school writing class. Been teaching "Ringside" for a long time, too. One of my favorite poems based on art. FINALLY I get to see what Koertge refers to as the "creepy" painting by Bellows. Thank you. (I wonder if you will ever get this message.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bellows painting with the yellow house is called "The Picket Fence."

    ReplyDelete